Sunday 6 February 2011

Culinary masterpiece and disasterpiece

I really got into Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals a few months ago so I tried out his idea for a refreshing pomegranate drink, involving pomegranate, ice cubes, mint, lemon and sparkling water. It looked really nice but you couldn't taste the pomegranate, so I spruced it up with a dash of elderflower cordial.The masterpiece was this chocolate delight I made using various nuts, biscuits and marshmallows that set in the fridge. I like to think its similar to the Hotel Chocolat slabs you can buy.
Finally, the disasterpiece below is a piece of puff pastry topped with tomato puree, tomato, pepperoni and cheese. Even though I pricked the pastry in the middle in order to prevent it from rising it still decided to create a massive pocket of air that rose up and caused all the topping to slide to the edges, leaving one lonely piece of pepperoni in the centre. When it cooled the air bubble disappeared and I had to shuffle the topping around to make it more even, but it tasted amazing. I'm definitely going to make more of these and experiment with different toppings, and hopefully sort out the air bubble problemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment