Sunday 28 March 2010

Lazy sunday

At Christmas I saw an idea for melting down old wax crayons and making them into festive shapes to give them as gifts. I decided to give it a try today and dug out my big box of wax crayons and seperated the colours.


After searching for how to do it I tried the method of melting them in the microwave but I gave this up as they weren't doing much except causing sparks.

So I put the crayon scraps in old tins and put these in a pan of boiling water to melt them. This took a while and I had to keep pouring the mixture into the mould (a little plastic bowl the size of a ramekin) bit-by-bit as it took so long to melt (and got wax on my oven gloves in the process).

I left them to set for a few hours and then turned them out. They came out ok, but now I'm left with three big disks of wax that aren't as fun as they look. It would have been better if I had some interesting moulds to put them in, like heart or star shapes.

Oh well, anything to distract myself from doing my dissertation...

No comments:

Post a Comment